Stay



I walked to where you lay,
wrapped in a quiet kind of grey.

"Are you okay?"

you gave a nod,
a silent sway.

I called you over
to my place.

You came,
and settled
close enough
for the world to lose its pace.


"If you need to rest,
then rest with me."

You smiled,
as though
that's where
you'd always wished to be.

My hand
found your face
without a sound.

For a moment,
it felt
like home
had finally been found.

I pulled away.

You opened your eyes
and softly said,

"Leave it there."
So, I did.

My fingertips
wandered every line,
every curve,
every trace,
trying to memorize
the poetry
of your face.

It felt too gentle,
too tender,
too true,
like a dream
that somehow
had learned
how to come into view.

You kept your eyes closed,
then opened them slow,
just enough
to let me know
that peace
had found you too.

"Sleep,"
I whispered.

"I'll be here
when you wake."

You wrapped yourself
inside my rug,
then reached for my hand
with effortless love.

You tucked it close,
away from the cold,
like it was
something precious
to hold.

Then slowly
you lifted it
to your lips,
kiss after kiss,
soft as rain,
again,
and again,
and again,
until silence
was speaking
your name.

When you were done,
you placed my hand
back upon your cheek,
as though my touch
was the language
your heart chose to speak.

I could see it then
the warmth,
the calm,
the way your guarded soul
had finally
let down its arms.

Then,
with the gentlest smile,
you asked me
for a kiss.

I kissed your cheek,
and for one impossible moment,
the world
forgot
everything
it had ever missed.

We were simply
warm.

Safe.

Loved.

The kind of peace
that asks for nothing,
the kind of love
that never needs proving.

If I could,
I would've folded
that morning
into forever,
hidden it somewhere
time could never sever.

But time
keeps moving,
and space
keeps pulling away.

Still,
if I had been given
one impossible prayer,
it would've been
for you
to 
stay.

- Taruna Ghera

Comments

  1. Got to read a love-filled poem after a long time. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Namesake

Pretty, Patient, and Proud

बहुत ज़रूरी है, वो पेड़